Chris Box began with us in 2017 and has recently been promoted to Project Manager. Having started in our installation team, Chris now takes charge of all elements to manage the sign fitting process. Here he tells us more about life in and outside of Widd Signs.
- Your name: Chris Box
- Your current role: Project Manager
- How long have you worked in this role at Widd? I have been in the new role for three months having started as a Fitter four years ago
- In a sentence or two, what does your role involve/what are your main responsibilities?
My role involves pricing for jobs, surveying sites and making sure our signage is manufactured and installed to the highest quality – basically seeing the job through from start to completion.
- What do you enjoy most about your role?
I enjoy seeing the final result when you have transformed a dull looking building in to a new, bright and modern looking one. Plus, every day is different and I love that I get to travel and see so many different parts of the world.
- What’s your proudest achievement to date outside of work?
I have achieved many things in my life, from playing in a successful junior rugby league side to coaching numerous of young talented prospects and I have achieved success in snooker and pool leagues over the years from a young age.
Two major turning points in my life that are particularly important and proud moments are the birth of my beautiful son following a second round of IVF, and when I was honoured to walk my former boss and lifelong family friend’s coffin after a freak accident at work resulted in his passing.
- What do you enjoy most about working for Widd Signs?
Working at Widd Signs genuinely is like being part of a family, it’s not like coming to work – whilst we take our jobs seriously and take pride in delivering quality craftsmanship, we have a lot of fun as well. The travel element of the role is a real bonus for me, I’ve seen some incredible places.
- What do you enjoy most about living and working in Yorkshire?
I live 20 minutes away from the Leeds HQ and have to say we have the best pubs in Yorkshire!
- What do you like to do away from work?
I enjoy socialising at weekends with friends and family and whilst I no longer play rugby league, I now enjoy coaching the local rugby league team. I also play in my dad’s snooker team which I love as I get to spend quality time with my dad.
- If you weren’t working in this industry, what career/profession would you have liked to have gone into?
I used to be a roofer; which through a tragic moment I then started my own business.
The opportunity to work with Widd Signs came up through another friend who recommended working here. I enjoy the security of employment and given it’s such a rewarding and friendly environment to work in, I have never looked back.
To contact Chris and the Leeds project team, contact 0113 279 4144.